WHO WE ARE
The Alberta Rural Development Network focuses on four key areas: Homelessness, Affordable Housing, Substance Use Awareness, and Creating Rural Connections. We work to increase capacity in rural communities by creating tools, resources, and new methods that are tailored to the unique needs and realities faced by rural and remote communities. The ARDN’s membership is comprised of nine Albertan colleges and universities whose combined expertise and research capacity provide evidence-based resources to inform our initiatives.
VISION: A strong sustainable network that empowers rural communities by facilitating and providing access to trusted rural development expertise, information and services.
MISSION: To facilitate, support and champion rural community development through collaboration, research and service provision.
MANDATE: ARDN supports the sustainability of rural communities. We work with communities to amplify the “rural voice”. We collaborate to identify and bring focus to rural issues, build local capacity, and find innovative, rural-based solutions to unique issues.
The Francophone Community Development Coordinator will work in various aspects of ARDN’s projects, focusing on Francophone community outreach. ARDN does unique work to support rural communities, and has a positive team environment. The Francophone Community Outreach Coordinator will have a unique opportunity to develop their skills in communication (written, verbal, and translation), community outreach, teamwork, taking initiative on individual project work, research, problem solving, and networking.
This position will start January 6, 2020 and end on March 31, 2020, with the possibility of extension.
If the candidate does not live in Edmonton, their flight to Edmonton at the beginning of the term, and flight home at the end of the term may be reimbursed.
● Review, edit and update ARDN-produced French language publications
● Coordinate external communications with francophone stakeholders, clients and potential clients
● Conduct outreach activities to francophone communities and community-based organisations across Canada
● Prepare, design, produce, write and copy edit French language communications materials
● Work with media outlets to promote ARDN in the French media (print, radio, television)
● Assist with developing ARDN project proposals with a French language component
● Assist with the planning of a National conference
REQUIREMENTS OF THE CANDIDATE
● Must currently be a post-secondary student who will be returning to school following this work term.
DESIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
● High degree of fluency in both French and English (verbal and written)
● Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office
● Excellent time management and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
● Marketing and communications experience or education
● French language Website content management
● Results driven, proactive and able to work independently
● Flexible, change embracing and able to work in a fast-paced environment
● Outgoing personality that enjoys talking to and engaging people
● A positive, “team player” attitude, and desire to help others meet goals and be successful
● Experience working with or living in a rural Canadian community is an asset
● Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, business management or a related field
ARDN WORK ENVIRONMENT
ARDN has an open-concept office in a co-working space, with some offices, private meeting spaces, and a common kitchen area. ARDN has 15 employees, with small teams dedicated to a variety of different projects. Work is often shared across staff as needed, and many of ARDN's initiatives are inter-related, allowing us to provide a comprehensive suite of services to the communities we work with and a variety of opportunities for staff to work in different areas if possible. Generally, a weekly staff meeting is held to share updates, issues, and opportunities with the entire group and facilitate communications across teams. Staff birthdays are celebrated and occasional staff social events are held. ARDN is an inclusive and diverse workplace, with a very positive culture.
This job is located in Edmonton, Alberta at the ARDN office near the downtown core. Free parking is available for employees on site, and public transit is available as well.
Edmonton is a beautiful city, both in its amenities and nature. It has a beautiful river valley running through the city center to explore, as well as many parks and green spaces which often host public events and festivals both in the summer and winter. It has many unique breweries, coffee shops, and restaurants to experience, as well as activities like breakout rooms, West Edmonton Mall (with an indoor water park and amusement park), golfing, indoor arenas and outdoor skating rinks, recreation centers, and areas for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Home to the University of Alberta, MacEwan University, and NAIT technical college to name a few, there is no shortage of young professionals to meet, night life, and entertainment such as theater, festivals, large concerts and intimate shows, museums, art galleries, and sporting events in the state-of-the-art Rogers Place and Commonwealth Stadium.
Edmonton is also near Jasper National Park and Banff National Park, where a weekend trip can include skiing in the mountains, hiking, and wildlife, as well as exploring the beautiful towns of Jasper and Banff and experiencing the majestic Rocky Mountains, which attract travelers from around the world. Elk Island National Park lies just outside of Edmonton as well, where you can see bison, rent a “glamping” cabin, and explore nature.
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents must be in English.