Position: Research Assistant – Substance Use and Addictions Program (SUAP)
Employer: Alberta Rural Development Network (ARDN)
Term: A part-time,six-month position with possibility of extension
The Alberta Rural Development Network (ARDN) is seeking a Research Assistant to join our team in Edmonton, Alberta. The selected individual will work closely with the SUAP Project Manager to develop interactive educational modules to educate and raise awareness amongst rural high school students on cannabis use and misuse.The selected candidate will be responsible for the collection,analysis and organization of evidence-based cannabis literature, which will be used to raise awareness on cannabis use and misuse in rural high schools.
In addition, this team member will work closely with the Research and Program Manager to develop a research document providing recommendations to improve mental health in affordable housing developments. These recommendations will be pulled from primary research articles and existing building guides. The candidate will ideally have experience in conducting scientific literature reviews.
The role of the Research Assistant (RA) is to:
· Compile, synthesize, and analyse cannabis research to develop public education modules rooted in harm reduction and prevention initiatives.
· Develop educational modules that address individual,interpersonal, community and/or societal factors that may reduce the risks, or enhance protective factors, against problematic cannabis use or misuse
· Create, administer and analyse event evaluation forms, using paper and online formats.
· Advising and guiding researchers on project development, implementation and analysis.
· Conduct quantitative analysis of scientific research and administrative data upon request.
· Visualize research results for diverse audiences.
· Support staff training in survey and analysis methods and software.
· Conduct environmental scans and literature reviews.
· Write research reports, summaries, announcements, and other communications.
· Additional responsibilities as required.
In addition, the RA will:
· Attend weekly staff meetings
· Provide regular written and verbal progress updates
· Plan and participate in project awareness and promotion, including communications,traditional media and news releases, and social media
· Assist ARDN staff with other projects as needed
· A graduate degree completed or in progress in a discipline related to the position(public health, education, nursing, psychology, etc.)
· Research experience, including proposal writing, data collection, data analysis,interpretation, and report writing.
· Qualitative and quantitative research experience is required.
· Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills.
· Cultural competency with a variety of people in diverse settings.
· Problem solving and decision-making skills.
· Strong writing skills.
· A combination of analytical ability and inductive skills.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
· Willingness to travel within Alberta.
· Experience in the human services or post-secondary sector is an asset.
The Alberta Rural Development Network (ARDN) is a not-for-profit partnership of nine Albertan colleges and universities, working together to support and enhance rural development. These institutions have combined their expertise, ideas and resources to strengthen Alberta’s rural way of life. The network draws on the strengths of diverse organizations, gathers and conducts extensive research, and perhaps most importantly, has deep connections in all regions ofthe province.
Please send a cover letter and résumé in confidence to:
Alberta Rural Development Network
Closing date: Open until a suitable candidate is found